When people with disabilities are seen as undesirable

Today, I was just on my wheelchair and a couple of guys past by me. They did turn around with sympathetic faces, looking at my wheelchair. This episode kept me thinking do all the people with disabilities are seen as undesirable in the so called normal world.
I was pondering over the same thought when I saw those guys looking at other girls. I know that sometimes guys stare can harm a woman in many ways.
Nevertheless, here I talking about a general norm, not really talking about my own experience . Just to bring this one point in to your consciousness.
People with disabilities are always as Child -like , who would always need a support for a lifetime. These prejudices refrain people from looking beyond disabilities. That is why I think that if a person with disabilities want to have a true romantic relationship, the person needs to understand that we might face some physical problems but if we both try to adapt with each other. We could become a healthy couple.
I know that whenever a guy is looking at me, it is rather sympathetically or I become an inspiration. The saddest part of being an inspiration is you can’t converse on a regular level. Forget about flirting with a guy all together.
Being an inspiration means that you have been put somewhere on a high platform, and people are praying to you. Yes,. I agree that sometimes being an inspiration isn’t bad but when you are on a date and you are trying to Impress that guy in front of you. Suddenly.. just suddenly they blurt out the three magical words.. that’s “ you are an inspiration.. and it is just over….
I was a kind of person who was so neutral at these kind of things, I never objected when people called me an inspiration because it was better than people calling me weak and brainless. It really does hurt when the person who you are seeking, calls you an inspiration.
When you want to be a relationship with a person, being a woman with disability, it is not easy. You have to go through many internal and external struggles. Even if you overcome the Internal struggle, you will never be able to overcome the external struggles that is the prejudices against the people with disabilities.   The external struggles are the physical struggles, the struggles of a woman with Cerebral Palsy. The struggle to wear their own Clothes or the struggle to drink a glass of water.   I know that women with disabilities have a tough fight, finding a guy who sees them beyond their disabilities.
If we look at the politics of marriage in India. We see that If a woman has little defect in the physical attributes, she would be rejected. It really frightens me from the core of my heart. That is why I don’t believe in the arrange marriage stuff. Yes, that is what I know, I just want somebody to look beyond my disabilities.
Love, is a topic that women with disabilities hesitate to talk about and write about. I am a woman writer with Disability, who has written about love with confidence and freedom. I really want that other women with disabilities should also come out and talk about their own experience of love and disability.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meri pehchan hai kya

The Long Walk

Ten comments people give me about my disability and how I react to it..